3 BEST On-Campus Jobs for International Students in US for Summer 2018

4 years ago



Did you know that international students in the U.S. can earn extra dollars by working on-campus? Sounds like a great opportunity to cover necessary expenses and be able to afford yourself a little more than usual.


What is On-Campus Employment?


U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement defines on-campus employment the following way:


  • Work performed at your school location for your school directly (this includes work affiliated with a grant/assistantship).
  • Work performed for on-location commercial firms meant to provide services for students on campus, such as the school library, diner, recreational sports facilities, etc. The list of jobs is school-specific, so address the International Student Office for more details.
  • Work performed at an off-campus location which is educationally affiliated with the school. This particular form of employment must be an integral part of the student's educational program.

International students on F-1 and J-1 visas must comply with the following rules to be able to get a job:


  1. International students on F-1 visas are permitted to take on jobs on college campuses. Unlike U.S. citizens, they aren’t permitted to work off-campus during their first year of school.
  2. Obtaining a Social Security number is required by the U.S. Social Security Administration once international students get an employment.
  3. International students on F-1 and J-1 visas are permitted to work on campU.S. during the semesters no more than 20 hours per week, under U.S. immigration laws.
  4. International students are allowed to work full-time on campus during annual vacation periods.
  5. Students can attend job fairs twice a year in the fall and spring to find on-campus work.

What Are the Employment Options for the F-1/J-1 Students?


There are several employment categories that international students can use:

  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)

International students are allowed working in optional practical training (OPT) both during and after completion of their degree. The OPT application can be submitted after being enrolled for at least 9 months. Receiving the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS is the necessary requirement.

Please mind, USCIS might take up to 90 days to process your application. Also, ensure your place of work is close to your school’s International Student Office. IT’s important to keep in touch with the International Student Office to maintain the international F-1 student status throughout your stay in the U.S.

Check out the OPT guidance to learn more about the application process and eligibility.

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

In case practical training is an integral part of the curriculum/academic program, Curricular Practical Training (CPT) can become an off-campus employment option. The work experience obtained during the CPT must either be required for your degree, or academic credit must be awarded. It is possible, you will even get paid for CPT employment. Curricular Practical Training employment qualifies as “alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education.”

  • Employment with an International Organization

Finally, international students on F-1 visas can get employed with a "recognized international organization." There’s also a number of requirements for the organization. First of all, it must be on the official State Department list (i.e. Red Cross, the World Health Organization, the World Trade Organization, etc.)

Please mind, this type of employment is often overlooked due to the lack of universal application of OPT/CPT. Students with a job offer/sponsorship from one of the international organizations on the list are eligible.


Check Out More Related Posts:

4 BEST Smartphone Apps For Students Who Have Trouble Sleeping

Study In The USA: Step-by-Step Guide (INFOGRAPHICS)

Brain Challenge: Can You Solve The Red & Green Hat Puzzle?

Any questions or propositions?