Shots fired Tuesday on the University Of North Carolina campus in Charlotte. According to USA Today, an alert was issued by the University of North Carolina at Charlotte officials at 5:50 p.m. ET warning students to find a safe location. Allegedly, gunshots were heard near a building on campus. The Typical Student team learned the latest details about the shootings.
Where Is the University Of North Carolina?
The UNC Charlotte campus is located northeast of downtown Charlotte.
UNC Charlotte Shootings so far:
- Late Tuesday afternoon, UNC Charlotte issued a campus lockdown warning students that shots had been fired near the campus building.
- Two victims were found dead, as reported by the Mecklenburg Emergency Medical Services Agency. Three others were in critical condition, one other shot but not in a critical condition, according to UNC Charlotte Police Chief Jeff Baker. one other was shot but is not in critical condition. It is unclear if the victims are students.
- Tuesday was the last day of classes before the finals scheduled on Thursday. Through the end of the week, the exams were canceled and it was unclear when exams would resume.
- Students left their belongings including cellphones and car keys in classrooms, while they were fleeing campuses. Late Tuesday, the campus was closed but police drove students to retrieve their belongings. Students can reunite with their families in a supermarket across the street.
- A free Waka Flocka Flame concert was canceled, the rapper tweeted he was fine. The concert was meant to be held at the school's football stadium, it was scheduled for 6 p.m. local time.